Swimming Pool Registration

We simplify the process of pool and spa registration for Gippsland residents

Did you know that all fixed pools or spas, with a depth of more than 30cm, must be registered with your local council?

You must also hire a registered building inspector to certify your safety barriers. We have extensive experience in pool barrier inspection and can assist you with the certification process, including completing Form 23 – Certificate of pool and spa barrier compliance.

Follow the steps below to register your pool or spa: 


Four Easy Steps

Step 1

Register your pool or spa with your local Council before the required cut-off dates

See the registration links to your local Gippsland Council further below.

Step 2

Contact your local council to get a statement confirming when your pool/barrier was installed.

Step 3

Engage Smart Choice Building Permits and Inspections to inspect your pool/barrier. If your pool or spa is in compliance, we will help you complete your Form 23.

Step 4

Lodge your Form 23 with your local Council.

Pool Fencing Laws

You must receive a Certificate of Barrier Compliance to use your pool or spa legally, as per Victorian Building Regulation 147L.

The cut-off dates for this certification depends on when the pool or spa was built. See below for the cut-off dates:

Applications to Register a Swimming Pool or Spa

To register your pool or spa, complete the form below which matches your local council.

Barrier Specifications

If a Victorian residential pool or spa has a depth of 30cm or more, it must be surrounded by a safety barrier. This includes inflatable pools. All pools and spas built after 2010 require a four-sided barrier (isolation fence), with no direct access from the house or any other building to the pool or spa.
The barriers must also comply with the following:

  • Safety barriers must be a minimum of 1.2 metres high.
  • Barrier gates must be self-closing and self-latching.
  • It is illegal to leave a pool or spa gate propped open.
  • Climbable objects such as pot plants, eskies, pool pumps and chairs must be moved away from the barrier.


A building permit is required before installing a new pool, spa or barrier. This permit needs to be issued by a registered building surveyor. Building work must start within 12 months of the date that the building permit was issued. During construction, if a new pool is filled with more than 30cm of water it must have a temporary safety barrier put around it.

Call Us Today